The Business Manager - Vice President of Administration is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the business, as well as financial and human resources oversight. They serve as the principal owners chief advisor on financial matters and is primarily responsible for the financial management of the organization. The position is responsible for preparing standard monthly financial reports as well as monthly analysis of the overall financial health of the organization including billable hours, client/market mix of projects, cash flow and budgetary needs. They also provide leadership and guidance to the organization’s HR operations. This position is a strategic part of the company’s operations, providing both financial and business operation guidance to principal owners of the firm.
Accounting & Finance
- Manage all accounting functions for a professional services organization with $6.5 million in revenue, including performing month end closing, financial statement preparation, general ledger reconciliation, and payroll.
- Oversee and manage accounting functions on a day-to-day basis including invoicing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and collections (tasks performed by Business Manager’s staff).
- Manage cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts.
- Prepare monthly financial managerial reports to analyze and identify trends and provide insights for informed strategic decision-making.
- Responsible for year-end close and as primary contact, works with the company’s CPA firm for tax preparation.
- Primary contact for all banking matters including ensuring banking relationship is fulfilling the needs of the company.
- Research, develop and implement competitive benefits and compensation programs, as well as administration of the benefit programs. Benefit programs include group medical, dental, vision, life, short term disability, section 125 cafeteria plan, and 401(k).
- Provide HR guidance and leadership to the principal owners and management team; assist with resolution of human resource employee relations, compensation, and benefits questions, concerns, and issues.
- Set, enforce, and evaluate legally compliant human resources policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Ensure compliance with employment, benefits, insurance, safety, and laws, regulations, and requirements at state, federal and local levels.
- Assist with hiring and manage the on-boarding of new hires including processing of all paperwork for compliance with the organization’s policies and procedures, benefit enrollment applications, and all state and federally required forms.
- Implement and oversee the performance appraisal process and ensure managers perform timely and constructive reviews.
- Maintain accurate HR records, including employee files, payroll records, and attendance.
- Assist managers with proper handling of employee reprimands, both verbal and written; provide guidance and assistance with employee terminations.
- Perform all other HR duties as needed.
- Oversee all office operations including, but not limited to, workflow processes, reception, facilities, space allocation, vendor management, and special projects as needed.
- Manage administrative support staff of three(3).
- Maintain a professional and positive work environment by facilitating effective communication and information sharing among departments and employees.
- Primary contact for company safety includes on-going compliance, monitoring, development, and implementation of safety policies and procedures.
- Manage truck fleet to include forecasting upcoming needs and maintaining relationship with vendor on purchasing/leasing of vehicles.
- Primary contact for company’s insurance needs; prepares all documentation needed for annual renewals.
- 6-10 years related experience in hands-on management of all accounting functions.
- BS in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field preferred.
- HR certification or proven on-going participation in HR activities to stay abreast of changes and best practices in the industry.
- Work experience in a professional services environment, construction, or other related field.
- Ability to multitask; flexible in prioritizing and dealing with competing simultaneous demands.
- Serve as an example of positivity when faced with workplace challenges.
- Proven leadership and decision-making skills;ability to offer problem-solving guidance and help others find effective solutions.
- Discretion in handling confidential information.
- Leads and manages with a strategic mindset.
- Experience with accounting software (i.e. Sage Intacct), and Microsoft Office Suite.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers competitive pay based on experience, including a retention bonus after the first full year of employment. As a key member of the organization, this position will be eligible for ownership buy-in once value to the company has been demonstrated. Company benefits include medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, life, and 401(k) as well as a generous paid time off policy including 9 paid holidays. This position will primarily work on-site to best manage and coordinate with staff and senior management. Some remote flexibility after assuming full role responsibilities. Email salary requirements along with your cover letter and resume.