Geotechnical engineering is concerned with the engineering properties of earth materials. Our staff of highly educated, professional engineers are ready to assist the client in determining a site’s engineering properties and how those properties will interact with the proposed construction.
A geotechnical investigation by one of our experienced engineers will include obtaining information on the physical characteristics of the soil and rock to provide recommendations for earthwork and designs of foundations for the project. Our three fully equipped drill rigs and skilled crews are available to assist with the site investigation to obtain sampling of the subsurface conditions if necessary. GeoTechnologies’ engineering services also include dam evaluations, retaining wall design, and Phase I environmental evaluations, to name a few. Our staff is trained in the use of the Marchetti Flat Plate Dilatometer (DMT) which is used for estimating settlement on heavier structures. We also utilize other sophisticated equipment to provide geophysical refraction testing, thermal conductivity testing, field resistivity, and GPS locating of soil borings.
GeoTechnologies takes pride in providing innovative, economical solutions to engineering problems. Our engineers have taken on the challenges of projects such as NCEMC Peak Power Plant in Anson County, North Carolina to the LNG Storage Tanks in the Fujian Province of China. Big or small, all of our projects receive the same quality attention.
- Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) for locating objects in concrete and masonry, such as steel reinforcing and post tension cables to a maximum depth of 16 inches.
- Windsor Probe testing to verify concrete strength.
- Floor Flatness Testing (Dipstick) of concrete slabs.
- Nuclear Density Gauge for verifying compaction of soils.
GeoTechnologies, Inc., maintains and operates a full service in-house laboratory for testing of soil, concrete, masonry, asphalt, and aggregates. By having our own in-house laboratory, we are able to promptly begin testing of samples brought from the field. In addition, this also enables us to maintain control over the testing process, making sure all tests are performed in accordance with the appropriate ASTM or AASHTO standards.
GeoTechnologies is committed to a high level of quality control. Our laboratory staff is trained in the appropriate testing procedures and our equipment is properly maintained and calibrated. The laboratory is routinely inspected by CCRL and AMRL, and accredited by AASHTO. Our clients can be assured that their test results will be reliable, accurate, and performed in a timely manner. Our lab tests include but are not limited to the following:
- Triaxial Testing
- Permeability Testing
- One Dimensional Consolidation Using Incremental Loading
- Direct Shear
- Thermal Resistivity
- Standard and Modified Proctor
- California Bearing Ratio
- Atterberg Limits
- Grain Size Analysis with 200 Wash
- Grain Size Analysis with Hydrometer
- Specific Gravity of Soils, Fine, and Coarse Aggregate
- Natural Moisture Content
- Organic Content
- Unit Weights
- Compressive Strength of Concrete Cylindrical Specimens
- Compressive Strength of Grout Prisms
- Compressive Strength of Mortar Cubes
- Compressive Strength of Soil Cement Cylinders
- Flexural Strength of Beams with Third Point Loading
- Splitting Tensile Strength of Cylindrical Specimens
- Young’s Modulus
- Bulk Specific Gravity
- Maximum Theoretical Specific Gravity
- Marshall Stability and Flow